This is again so easy to make, you will never again spend at a restaurant or order-in this toast. The only trick is to find the right avocado. By right, I mean perfectly ripe buttery avocados which don’t have a bitter note to it. I’ve always struggled with getting the perfect ones. No matter what I did, I ended up slicing either an overripe ‘almost going to rot’ or undone, hard and bitter. This was mainly because I’ve been ordering them online and I still haven’t figured out a way to evenly ripen them or know how to recognise a ripe Avocado. Trust me, I’ve seen a lot of videos online and they didn’t work. If you do have suggestions, please comment below. Would love to try them out.
So this time, I went to a local vendor and asked him to give me one that’s ready to eat right away and it was the perfect ripe! In Indian markets, it’s not available everywhere. You’ll find at a superstore or maybe one or two vendors who keep exotic veggies at your market. But I am so lucky to have found the right person for my avocados! It cost me Rs. 200 for one Avocado. It can cost higher than this depending on the day. They are expensive compared to most other vegetables, but instead of spending at a restaurant you can enjoy double or four times the quantity. I made 4 open toasts with a heavy filling of this buttery fruit. You can make more of these toasts, just add less of avocado on each. And hey! it’s vegan too.
1 Ripe Avocado
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Tomato or Cherry Tomatoes
6-8 Basil Leaves (Optional)
6-8 Jalapeno Slices (Optional)
1/2 Lemon / Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Pepper Powder
1/2 Tsp Chilli Flakes / Chilli Powder
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Slices Bread
- Slice an Avocado open vertically and remove the seed. Select ripe avocados that are buttery.
- Using a sharp spoon, scoop out the flesh from both the halves and add them to a bowl.
- You can either mash them or chop them roughly or into slices, whatever you prefer. I chopped them and mashed them a little with the same spoon I used to scoop the Avocado.
- Season with very little salt and keep aside.
- In a small bowl, add Lemon Juice or Vinegar. I used lemon juice.
- Add Olive Oil, Pepper Powder and Chilli Flakes. You can add Chilli Powder instead or skip altogether.
- Add Salt. I used Himalayan Pink Salt. You can use any. Mix well and keep aside.
- Slice up your Tomatoes or use cherry tomatoes. Roast them on a tava (flat griddle) or oven for a few minutes. You can skip the roasting if you don’t feel like. Also finely chop Garlic and keep them aside.
- Now that you’ve got everything in place, dry toast your bread slices. I used whole wheat multigrain bread and dry roasted them on a tava (flat griddle). You can use a toaster or a halogen oven. It needs to be hard and crisp in texture. Before flipping to the other side, I added chopped garlic and toasted them along with the bread. You can alternatively rub garlic on the toasted bread slices or sprinkle some garlic powder.
- Once they are nicely browned and toasted, spread the mashed Avocado or place the slices of Avocado evenly on as many slices you plan to make. I made just 4 because I wanted a heavy topping.
- Now add the sliced or chopped roasted Tomatoes and Basil leaves. You can also add Jalapeno slices if you feel like it. I didn’t. Even Feta Cheese works great!
- Now drizzle the dressing you made in the small bowl evenly on all the slices. Add any leftover roasted garlic you have.
- This is a basic Avocado Toast. You can add any topping you like, from eggs to sesame seeds and everything in between!
- So enjoy your crispy buttery vegan Avocado Toast.
- Don’t forget to Like, Follow, Subscribe. Would love to read your comments too!
CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM HANDLE FOR MORE SUCH STORIES
LOVE . LIGHT . HAPPINESS . PEACE