Plantains are a part of the banana family, but have a very different flavor profile. They have a much thicker skin and are also bigger, starchier, tougher and lower in sugar content than regular bananas. In India you will normally find them by the name – Nendran Banana, at Kerala Speciality Stores. It’s not difficult to spot one because they look different from regular bananas. They are longer and the edges are also pointier. The insides feel a little hard and not mushy. What I also love about plantains is the colour, which is a bit orange yellow like you’ve mixed in some saffron. They are also super delicious and goes without saying, they are highly nutritious as well. You can eat them just like you’ve eat a banana or you can try this recipe which my mum would make whenever we got these yummy versions home. I’ve added this to dessert category as well, because why not? It’s sweet and I think it’s a quick, healthy dessert fix anytime.
1 Nendran Banana (Plantain)
1 Tsp Ghee/Coconut Oil
Red Chilli Powder
- So these are not made from regular bananas but plantains which have a harder texture, so cooking doesn’t make them mushy. Read the top of this article and do check pictures I’ve posted for details on this variety of banana.
- So first, we are going to peel the banana and cut them into halves. Now slice the banana into long flat pieces.
- Line them up and sprinkle some salt and red chilli powder.
- Heat a griddle or tava and spread some ghee all over it. If vegan, use Coconut Oil.
- Place the side where you’ve seasoned facing down on the tava.
- Now season the top side with some red chilli powder.
- Flip it to let the other side brown too. Takes a minute on each side.
- Transfer to a plate and eat it as a snack or a side.
- You can eat this with some green chutney too.
- The bananas are sweet and taste a little different from regular ones. The chilli powder and salt gives it a great taste. A mix of flavours 🥰
CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM HANDLE FOR MORE SUCH STORIES
LOVE . LIGHT . HAPPINESS . PEACE