Here’s a Dalia recipe I recently started making for Breakfast. Very healthy, nutritious, easy to make and so so tasty.
1 Cup Dalia (Broken Wheat)
1 Tbsp Ghee/Oil
2 Tsp Cumin (Jeera)
1 Green Chilli, Finely Chopped
1 Large Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Large Tomato, Finely Chopped
1/2 Cup Green Peas
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin (Jeera) Powder
Salt to taste
2.5 Cups Water
1/4th Cup Coriander Leaves, Finely Chopped
Schezwan Chutney/Sauce (Optional)
- Heat a pan and dry roast Dalia until the colour changes to brown/white from yellow, just the same way you roast Semolina for making Upma. I use the bigger sized Broken Wheat. You can use any variety. You can alternatively dry roast the whole packet of Dalia at once and store in an air-tight container once it cools down and use when required without wasting the time and fuel every time.
- Keep the Dalia to cool down and in the meantime, heat ghee in a Pressure cooker.
- Splutter Cumin Seeds.
- Add the finely chopped Green Chilli.
- Now add the chopped Onion and fry until they turn semi brown in colour.
- Add in the chopped Tomatoes and mix well.
- Also add in the Green Peas. I’ve used frozen Green Peas after soaking them in water for sometime. Mix everything well.
- Now add the Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Cumin Powder. Add Salt as well. Mix and cook while stirring for about a minute.
- Add roasted Dalia and stir for a minute.
- Now add water. Mix everything well, check the salt and if everything seems fine, close the lid and put the whistle on.
- You need to give 1 whistle on full flame and 2 on medium-low flame.
- Let the steam escape before opening the lid.
- Add freshly chopped Coriander Leaves. Combine everything well.
- Healthy hot breakfast is ready to be relished.
- I pair this with some Schezwan Chutney/Sauce and trust me it tastes so good when you mix a little. Serve with some fruits and you are good to go!