When ripe, Mulberries taste a mix of tart and sweet like most other berries but with a little wild flavour. They are super delicate and leave a purplish colour that can easily stain your fingers or clothes on contact. So I always prefer to give them a quick wash with filtered or drinkable water before juicing and use the dark coloured washed water for my plants.
Mulberries have recently gained admiration due to their highly nutritious and antioxidant properties. They are very low on calories as well, which makes these berries an excellent inclusion for people on keto, paleo and weight-loss diets. Being diabetic friendly, anti-inflammatory, gluten free and vegan, this juice can be relished by anyone and everyone, guilt free!
In Mumbai (India), I get mulberries packed in boxes of 125 grams. But I’ve noticed that these colourful berries don’t stay fresh for too long and can spoil and develop mold very quickly even when kept in a refrigerator. So we eat some as soon as we get them and when I know I cannot finish the whole pack immediately, I juice them. It’s a very easy recipe and the juice stays good in the refrigerator for upto 2-3 days. I haven’t tried storing this longer, so I cannot say how long they really stay good in the fridge. Do let me know, if you have tried storing longer. I love Mulberries and wish they were available all season. But do try this fruit juice when they are still in season and let me know in the comments below, your thoughts about this fruit and recipe!
100-125 Grams Mulberries (1 box)
Sweetener of Choice (Stevia/Erythritol)
1 Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Mint Leaves
1/4 Inch Ginger
Cold Water & Ice
- In a mixer grinder, add Mulberries, Ginger and Mint Leaves and blend into a smooth puree.
- Transfer to a big bowl and add sweetener of your choice. If you are not worried about sugar, you can add that or even jaggery but if you are on a diet, then use a mix of Stevia and Erythritol or either of them.
- Add lemon juice to this and mix everything well till the sweetener dissolves.
- Now add chilled water. I always add water to the mixer jar and use all the residue and add this water to the bowl. No wastage 🙂 Add water as per the consistency you prefer.
- That’s all. Serve them in your favourite glasses with some ice and enjoy your refreshing drink!
- To make it look fancy, garnish with a mint leaf and a lemon slice.
- This can make 4-6 glasses depending on the amount of water you use. Don’t make it too thin.
- Depending on how fresh your mulberries are, the colour may vary from a bright purple to a brownish purple.
- It’s a great Summer drink, nevertheless!
CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM HANDLE FOR MORE SUCH STORIES
LOVE . LIGHT . HAPPINESS . PEACE