Split Chickpea or Chana Dal is a rich source of energy boosting lean protein. They have a high amount of both insoluble and soluble fibers, as well as resistant and slowly-digestible starches. Altogether it is very low on GI (Glycemic Index) making this a diabetic friendly pulse. Chana Dal has zero cholesterol, has no trans fats, virtually no saturated fat nor sodium! It’s also a great source of zinc and particularly rich in phosphorous and magnesium. Such a rich food!
1 Glass Split Chickpeas (Chana Dal)
2 Green Chillis
1 String Curry Leaves
1 Inch Ginger
2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
Oil for Deep Frying
- Wash and soak Split Chickpeas in enough water for at-least 3 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water completely and grind this in the mixer into a coarse paste. Do not add water while grinding. You don’t have to grind into a smooth paste. You should be able to see a few dal pieces still unground.
- Transfer this to a large mixing bowl.
- Add Onion, Green ChillI, Coriander Leaves and Curry Leaves, all finely chopped.
- Also add grated Ginger.
- Mix and keep this in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. This will give the vadas a crispy exterior.
- Take it out from the fridge and add salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and add vadas one at a time. I could handle 4 vadas at a time. Depending on the size of your pan, add vadas. Flip and cook until both sides turn brown.
- Serve crispy hot Chana Dal vadas with Coconut Chutney or Green Sattu Chutney.