4 Cups Cooked Rice
3 Cups Yogurt
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tbsp Ghee
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Dry Red Chilli / Fresh Green Chilli
1 String Curry Leaves
1 Tsp Asafoetida Powder (Hing)
1 Tsp Urad Dal
1 Tsp Chana Dal
1 Tsp Grated Ginger
Fresh Pomegranate Seeds (Optional)
Salt to taste
- First cook rice. You can check the pressure cooker method for Basmati Rice here!
- If you are eating the Curd Rice immediately, add the Yogurt and water as per the consistency you prefer. If you are planning to eat this later, you can prepare the tempered rice first, and add the Yogurt mix later. So let’s prepare the tempering first.
- In a heavy bottom pan or tempering bowl, heat Ghee.
- Splutter Mustard Seeds.
- Lower the flame and add the Urad Dal & Chana Dal and sauté till it changes colour. Don’t burn.
- Break the Red Chilli or Slit the Green Chilli and add to this. Switch off flame if the temperature is too high.
- Add chopped Curry leaves, Grated Ginger and Asafoetida Powder.
- Add this mixture to the rice along with salt and mix well.
- Smoothen Yogurt in a bowl by stirring with a spoon continuously in a clockwise direction.
- Whenever you are ready to eat, heat the rice once again and then add the Yogurt. Add water if you prefer a thinner consistency. I don’t prefer heating post adding Yogurt. Add salt if required.
- Garnish with some fresh pomegranate seeds and serve hot with Bharwan Karela, Achaar, Fried Chillis, Papadam or any spicy sabji!