This is the easiest Dal Khichdi you’ll ever make! There is no tempering, no chopping and absolutely no peeling! No fuss, whatsoever! And even though it’s made with just a few ingredients, it’s still so satisfying and feels wholesome! This is Gluten Free and can be made Vegan too if you avoid the Ghee. It is usually made in Indian Households when someone is ill or to feed babies as this food is soft, easily digestible and has no spices. Such a simple recipe, yet so delicious. You can enjoy this quick recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1 Cup Moong Dal (Without Skin)
1 Cup Rice
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Ghee
- In a large pressure cooker, add the dal and rice. Wash it thoroughly and then soak in enough water for 15 minutes at least. I normally soak this after I’m done eating breakfast and around half an hour before lunch time I start preparing to make the Khichdi, so it’s soaking well for 3 hours. If you are diabetic, you can use more of lentils and less of rice.
- Discard the water. I use the water for my plants. If you are using organic unpolished lentils and rice, you can cook in the same soaked water. If not, add fresh water, around 4-5 cups. The rice and dal should be submerged under water. Add more if required.
- Now add the turmeric powder and salt. Give it a mix.
- Now add ghee and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Replace ghee with some oil if you are Vegan/Lactose Intolerant.
- I let this pressure cook on a high flame for 2-3 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool. Takes around 15 mins. Open the lid when all the steam has escaped. Give it a good mix.
- Check for salt and add water if required. Since it’s Khichdi, the consistency should be that of a thick porridge and easy to eat. So add water accordingly and give it a boil.
- Top this creamy khichdi with an additional dollop of ghee. You can serve this with Achaar (Pickles), Papad (Indian Fried Snack) and any flavourful dry sabji. I like Karela (Bitter Gourd) sabji with this. But even just a bowl of curd or Raita tastes great. Do let me know if you enjoyed this tasteful recipe.
CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM HANDLE FOR MORE SUCH STORIES
LOVE . LIGHT . HAPPINESS . PEACE